Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation


An American citizen child born outside the United States will be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This document establishes the child's status as an American citizen and is recognized as the equivalent of a birth certificate issued in the United States. We recommend that parents apply as soon as possible after your child’s birth, as the CRBA must be issued before the child may apply for a United States passport.  A CRBA may not be issued to a child after the 18th birthday.

Both parents and child must personally appear at the U.S. Embassy.


The following documents are required to issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to a child born in The Gambia:

  1. Birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths in The Gambia. 
  2. Marriage certificate of parents.  If the parents are not married, please ask a consular officer about special requirements.
  3. If either parent was previously married, evidence of the termination of previous marriages.  Normally, such evidence consists of a divorce order, annulment decree, or death certificate.
  4. Evidence of the American citizenship of both parents, such as a United States passport, naturalization certificate or a birth certificate from the United States.
  5. Second parent’s government Photo identification.   Passports are preferable.
  6. If only one parent is an American citizen, that parent must show evidence of his or her physical presence in the United States. Such evidence often consists of previous passports, educational records (school or university transcripts), rent receipts, etc. The American citizen parent must show:
    - For children born after November 14, 1986: at least five years of physical presence in the United States, including two years after the age of fourteen.
    - For children born before November 14, 1986: at least ten years of physical presence in the United States, including five years after the age of fourteen.

    7.  Two 2”x 2” photos of the child.

  1. Additional documentation: mother's maternity card , child's clinic card 
  2. A U.S. passport application (Form DS-11) is processed at the same time for the child. 

NOTE: All documents must be submitted in original or certified copy Incomplete applications may be asked to return at a later date.

Fees are collected in cash only, in United States dollars or the equivalent in Gambian dalasis. The cost of a CRBA is $100.  The U.S. passport is $105.

Completing the Form DS-2029 (PDF 52.3KB)

Please complete sections 1 to 15 on the application form in block letters and black ink. This information is mandatory.

Item 6 - Full Name: Please complete this item with your names as they appear on the passports. For women who have adopted their spouse's surname, please complete thus: "Jane Smith Doe, born Jane Mary Smith."

Item 11 - Evidence of American Citizenship: Please complete this item with your United States passport number, date of issue, and place of issue as listed on your current passport. Foreign nationals should list the country of nationality in addition to the other information.

Item 12 - Physical Presence: This means the actual time when the parent was physically present in the United States. Any travel outside the United States, including vacation, does not count toward physical presence. Maintaining a residence in the United States does not constitute physical presence. Start with your birth, if you were born in the United States, or your first entry to the United States and list all periods of physical presence in the United States up to the present.  You may attach a separate sheet with this information.

Please do not sign the form until requested by a consular officer.

Note: Effective September 6, 2011 all routine consular services at the U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia will be provided by appointment only to all U.S. citizens visiting or residing in The Gambia. There will no longer be walk-in hours for routine consular services. Emergency cases (such as medical emergencies, deaths or arrests involving American citizens) will still be handled on a walk-in basis during normal Embassy hours, or after hours by calling the Embassy duty officer.


More Information

For more information about applying for a CRBA, please visit the State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs website.  

ACS Hours and Contact


DNA Testing at U.S. Embassy Banjul

Rights, Protections and Resources