Electronic Visa Application Form
The visa application form DS-156 must be filled out on-line. Complete this form ahead of time. If you experience problems in accessing this form and are unable to complete it by the date of the interview, your appointment will be cancelled and you will be required to reschedule for another day.
- Failure to complete the 2D bar coded form will delay your application for a visa.
- Do not complete blank or unprocessed data input forms by hand. Unprocessed data input pages or data input pages completed by hand will not be accepted.
- The information that you submit is not stored anywhere. It is also not submitted to the Embassy electronically. It is only used to generate a barcode.
What you Need
To use the electronic visa application form, your Internet browser must support 128-bit encryption and you should use either an ink-jet or laser printer to print the completed application form. If you are using Internet Explorer (Windows), the minimum version that will work with this site is version 5.0, with service pack 2. If you are using Netscape, the minimum version that will work with this site is version 6.2. You must also have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC in order to download and print the completed application form. The minimum version that will work with this site is version 5. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat, you may download a copy from Adobe’s web site.
Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, it may take several minutes to download the initial and completed copies of the form. Please be patient.
Instructions for completing the electronic DS-156
- Complete the form on-line by filling in the applicable data fields. Fill in the form as completely as possible leaving blank only those fields that do not apply in your case. If a field is completed incorrectly, a message will advise you on who to correct the entry.
- Review the information you have entered for accuracy.
- Press the Continue button at the end of the form and wait while the system processes your data and transfers it to a 3 page DS-156 form with a special bar code on page 3. Failure to click on the Continue button will result in an incorrectly formatted application form.
- Print the form after it is returned to you and date and sign it.
- The barcode that prints on the 3rd page contains the information you entered and will help us process your application more quickly.
- Pages 1, 2 and 3 with the 2-D bar must be furnished when applying for the visa.
Do not complete blank or unprocessed data input forms by hand. Unprocessed data input pages or data input pages completed by hand will not be accepted.
A new feature of the electronic visa application form is the "Generate Family Duplicate" function.
This feature will permit a new form to be generated for a family member, and common fields like Surname and Address will automatically be populated on the new form.
The user should generate the Adobe Acrobat version of his form first, and then click the browser's back button and click the "Generate Family Duplicate" buttom to use this feature.