Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on nonimmigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on http://travel.state.gov/
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:
- Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
- Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
- We are here to provide the best services possible but in doing so, we will not tolerate abusive or aggressive behavior from our customers/applicants. We will decline service to individuals who continue to be abusive or aggresive when asked to stop.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please be advised not to come too early for your interview appointment. If you are scheduled for a 09:30 a.m. interview please arrive by 09:10 or 09:20, and not 08:00 a.m. or any other time. Only applicants who are scheduled for 08:00 a.m. will be seen at that time. If you arrive late, we may ask you to come back another day. Also note that in some cases applicants may have to wait several hours before interview. You may wish to bring a book, newspaper, or magazine to read.
E-Mail: Consularbanjul@state.govFax: (220) 439-2475
Call Center Numbers: +220-438-4444 or +1703-520-2572
Note: All supporting documents should be submitted by the applicant at the time of interview. Unless specifically requested by a consular officer, all documents faxed or mailed to the Embassy will be destroyed.